Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten!

Brennan's first day of kindergarten started with him following footprints from his bedroom to different areas of the house that had little notes for him to read. Good way to get him to read!:)






My friend that is a kindergarten teacher has a teepee in her classroom that the kids can go in to read independently. I was ready to get rid of this rocket because Brennan never plays with it, but I decided to make it The Reading Rocket. I  have a basket of books that he can choose from (that don't all fit on his bookshelf anyway!).



I am still working on this so it has everything that I feel like we need to start the day off, but I am happy with how it is coming along. It has a weather chart, 100's chart, clock that we can move the arms to practice time, a calendar of course, colors and a thermometer. I am going to add a place for the seasons, too.


I had a few other signs about going fun places, getting fun prizes, playing games, etc.

Brennan was excited about painting the first day...hmmm, I wonder why-no work (reading/writing)!



I love love love his creations! He painted the eye on the right first and I was so proud that it's actually the shape of an eye. I'm not sure what happened to the other eye:)


Here he is painting a volcano. I had to turn on the Bob Ross remix Happy Little Clouds during art time. If you haven't seen/heard it you should check it out on you tube. I told Brennan I remember watching his show and trying to paint a tree just like him when I was younger:)


Drawing with scented markers.


Junie may or may not have learned something today, either way she is cute:)


We showed our imaginative side today with dress up:)


We read lots of books, including one about bats, so we had a bat friend join us for reading time.


A friend invited us to go apple picking tomorrow so since we are working on the letter A this week anyway plus apple picking, we decided to learn more about apples and Johnny Appleseed. We made a trip to the library and got more apple books too.


Overall, we had a very fun and eventful first day. We played some games and practiced some writing (one project is not quite finished, but I'm excited to share-hopefully tomorrow!) I also registered for a trip with a small home school group I joined recently to a Dairy Farm in September, which I am really excited about. I found some home schooling educational classes at the zoo that I want to try too so I'm excited about what this year is going to bring:)



So Casey has been really worried about the social aspect of home schooling. I have too at times, but for the most part I feel like we are good about play dates and involving him in activities. I also don't feel like Brennan needs to only get together with kids his age. Which is good since now they are all in school! Brennan loves babies so we may do some play dates with some of our baby friends too:)  Tonight we did get together with our friends for a play date which was a nice way to end the day:) These kids play sooo good together!







This little guy is being baptized on Sunday and I get to be his Godmother, what an honor!:)








4 comments:

  1. What an awesome first day!! You're so organized!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at the History Museum over the summer & I know they have free home school activities there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! You'll be surprised at just how socialized he is. ;) You are right, it's important to interact with people of all ages, not just peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the class room and the great first day idea!!! You are doing a great job:) I so agree about socializing with different ages I think age segregation is downfall of the public school system. Don't worry there will be lots of opportunities as he get older, we have to turn down opportunities all the time. Yea for Kindergarten :)

    ReplyDelete