Thursday, April 25, 2013

New Year's Resolution

I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but every year I vow not to go to the doctor as much. It's not like I can really help it or go when I don't really need to, but it's always for stupid shit. Not that I want to go for anything big, but it seems like every year we (I) rack up so many medical bills for nothing. This year I have already spent about $1,500 in medical bills and prescriptions. Almost every year we have enough to claim medical on our taxes which you have to have at least 7.5% of your income. This year we have $528.04 toward our family out of pocket and $517.27 of that is from me. I guess I should look at my total cost so far is $12,343 and be glad I haven't had to pay that much. Hopefully I will only have to pay about another $1,000 to have met my out of pocket and anything else this year will be covered at 100%. So much for 2013 being a year that I don't go to the doctor. I blew that January 3rd when I started the year off with an eye infection. Then 2 more sinus infections, bronchitis, another sinus infection and now a hip replacement-this is a record. so much for getting better, it's getting worse. Maybe next year I will wish to go to the doctor more-a little reverse psychology??

Also, with my marathon illness I have had 16 prescriptions so far this year. The people at the pharmacy don't even ask my name anymore. I am honestly not one to take medication. I don't have any medications besides vitamins that I take on a daily basis. This year has been slightly different for medications because of all of the antibiotics I had to take, but seriously 16-that's ridiculous. Luckily my prescriptions and doctor visits haven't been costing that much. But when you add a CT scan, two x-rays, and MRI to the mix-things get a little pricey.

2 comments:

  1. Yeesh! I hear you on the medical bills claim on taxes, this year was the first time in 3 years that we weren't able to claim it on our taxes and that's only because the timing worked out with Matthew that the whole pregnancy was before our new deductible year started or otherwise we would have qualified. Even so, we spent a lot of money on medical stuff ($60 MFM copays x4 a month x several months, etc.) It stinks!

    I accidentally left my cell phone at my parents house so I can't text you right now but I just wanted to let you know we will be thinking of you lots tomorrow and the following days and hope everything perfectly and you have an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Gosh I am sorry it has been such a hard year. Hopefully the second half will be much better!

    ReplyDelete