Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Visuals-reader discretion advised

I made a little mistake refreshing my memory on exactly what is involved in a hip replacement. Probably not a good idea to watch a video on youtube about exactly what kind of  revisions are going to be done to your body. Might make looking forward to the procedure a little less appealing. The idea of my butt being cut open and my leg detached from my body, a portion of my leg sawed off and a foreign body drilled into my femur (leg bone)-not a good visual. I will spare you the less appealing pictures. You're welcome for the lesson in orthopedics for the day. The femoral head, which is the ball, will be made of ceramic. The stem will be made of titanium and the piece inside the socket of the acetabulum is going to be made of polyethylene plastic. The plastic is what wears down over time and is what will cause me to need a revision down the road-lets hope the long road.


This is a picture featured in my book on the page describing what to expect after you go home. Let's hope I sleep as peaceful as this guy. However, on the very same page, they warn you that you may not sleep well for 3 months. Hmmm, little misleading.


I know that I probably wont drive for 2 weeks. Hopefully I won't be walking with an assistive device for longer than 2 weeks either. I can't bend over 90 degrees for 3 months-sheesh. Like getting dressed unassisted for 3 months. That dressing stick may be my new best friend. I have bought some dresses and nightgowns to make dressing more easy. Although I do still need underwear-or maybe I will decide I don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment