Thursday, April 11, 2013

Surgery Scheduled

I met with the surgeon today. He reviewed everything with me extensively and basically said with the femoral head collapsed (not just fractured, it couldn't be that easy), there is a lot of damage and all of the options that could have been are basically 50/50 so he recommended a total hip replacement. Yes, in just a little over 2 weeks you can call me bionic woman or woman with a bionic hip. 

We discussed recovery time, etc. I will walk with an assistive device for at least 2 weeks, but I get to get out of bed the same day! I don't know how happy I will be about that when the time comes, but I really don't want to be stuck in bed!! Recovery time after that is variable. It really depends on the patient/age/physical condition. Hopefully all of that yoga I did will help out! I do feel like I am in pretty good shape and I have been itching to exercise, but since I was sick and having hip pain it didn't work out well for me. They did give me a book pamphlet that has all of the information about what to expect with the surgery and things to do to prepare. They have exercises I can do before to strengthen up-guess I better get busy:)

I also need a "hip replacement kit", things to help me get dressed. Included in the kit is a plastic sock aide, dressing stick-can't wait to use this, 32" reacher-go go gadget arm, elastic shoelaces-no thanks, long handled sponge, and a long handled shoe horn-I'll stick with slip ons! Last but not least a raised toilet seat, I have actually thought about getting one of these now. Seriously.

He also said I only needed to use the crutches now if I want to. So I threw them in the trash. Just kidding, I can tell already since walking without them since my appt that I will need them, but I don't want to rely on them all the time. I want to be as strong as possible for surgery.

 I will leave you with a pretty picture of flowers my sweet boy brought me when I was stuck in bed.


1 comment:

  1. <3 I'm so sorry you have to go through this. That totally sucks but hopefully you will feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete